Thursday, April 15, 2010

Shaggy bag...


I know, I've been such a sloth lately...no blogging, no knitting, nothing. Well that's not entirely true, I could sit all day on the computer...and before I realise it, my day is shot!
I have made a little progress on Barb's socks, I just don't know why I can't seem to get on the ball and finish them....possibly because they are so big!!!!!!!
But...I do have this bag.
I knit this using "Recycled Sari Silk" This yarn is handspun from reprocessed woven silk saris. Let me tell you if I thought 'Noro Kureyon' was tough to work with well it's nothing compared to sari silk. This stuff is full of vegetable matter and God knows what..it does smell a little and it has knots, it is thick and thin in spots and sheds and unravels. That being said the colours are fantastic. It knits up into a drapey fabric and it softened after I washed it, 'tho it still smells a little funky. At least the colours didn't run or bleed.
I used Sz#8 needles.
Just knit a rectangle, picked up the stitches in the round and knit the body of the bag. I finished with about 8 garter rows. I made 3 I-cords and braided (in Ireland I would have said plaited instead of braided) them together for the handle. I knit little tabs and added metal rings to the handle.
I lined the bag with 'batik' fabric from Jo~Annes, added a pocket and a metal magnet closure.
It's unusual and I like it.
I am sorry I haven't been blogging. I guess you could say I flit from one thing to another and can't quite settle myself.
Hopefully I'll do better.
Happy knitting.
Mags.

1 comment:

tammy said...

I like your, "hippie bag" so pretty and stylish, these days.
Your socks are looking great!

I'm working on a patterned pair with a graph, so it's not a speedy project. With some summer sock yarn. I don't miss blogging, but will post a picture of the socks when finished. Just wanted to check and see what you've been up too, knew you would have something finished by now, you always have something on the needles. Always glad to hear from you too! Take care and happy knitting! Hugs,
Tammy