Friday, December 17, 2010

Crafty coin purses.









My girl friend Elaine is always on the lookout for thickened wool sweaters/cardigans for me since she knows I love to felt and recycle them. I usually save the buttons too. This is a partially felted cardigan she gave me during the summer.
During Thanksgiving my daughter took me to a big Jo~Ann store in her neighbourhood. This store has so much stuff compared to the one I go to in Pennsylvania....I went wild gathering up things I thought I might use.
I spied these little coin purse frames, and bought a couple as I always wanted to try to make a coin purse using felted wool.
I used this tutorial for guidance
http://annekata.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-diy-hand-sewn-coin-purse.html
I used the felted sweater for the outer body of the coin purse and some batik remnants for the lining.
I would have to say the hardest part was attaching the purse frame. I had the sew on type and I used embroidery floss. It was hard to center the frame and I couldn't find much information on how to attach it. Ah...brute force and ignorance wins every time! (Ha ha.)
I love how these little purses look but I'm not sure if I'll ever make any more.
I'll give Sarah (one of my Saturday morning knitting friends) the one with heart...she loves to felt and loves recycled stuff and I'll keep one for myself!
I know you're wondering about my Christmas knitting....well...I'm not making much progress and time is flying...
Happy knitting everyone.
Mags.

No comments: