Sunday, February 28, 2010

From a sweater to a felted bag..




Sometimes I feel like knitting and sometimes I say to myself "Why bother?" This is one of these times....
I bought this sweater at the Salvation Army Thrift store for $2.00, with the intention of felting it and making a tote bag. Let me say I love big felted bags!
If you decide to make one..buy a wool garment and felt before cutting.
Let your imagination be your guide. I cut under the arms all the way across for the body of the bag. I had a nice rolled edge for the opening at the top. I measured and used one of the sleeves for the base. I didn't open the sleeve. I like to use the sleeve doubled so I can insert a piece of heavy plastic to add structure.
I also used part of the other sleeve for an inside pocket and the neck rolled edge for the button loop. I tried making handles from the other sleeve but it didn't look right so I bought a skein of Patons wool and knit two i-cords. I hate white and decided to dye the finished bag black.
As you can see it's brown..but that's okay....probably it would have gotten darker if I'd bought another bottle of dye.
I had a little novelty yarn and made a little flower. (The Grand Poobah says it looks like a cinnamon roll..heehee) I just pinned the flower on the front that way I can remove it and leave the bag plain.
I sewed a big button on the front.
I am still working on a pair of socks..these are the forever pair!
Look the bag pic) at all the heavy wet snow we've gotten in the last couple of days....great knitting weather, if only I felt like knitting.
Happy creating or knitting or just doin' nothing.
Mags.

5 comments:

tammy said...

Nice project and it looks pretty hanging outside with the snow as the background. And thats a clever way to make use recycle a sweater into another useful item.

It was sun shiny here yesterday and today its snowing.March is here!
Hugs,
tp

tammy said...

Thanks for your comment, you got it!Maybe I'll be magically blessed and my spinning will turn into gold. That would show 'em! Right?

Hugs,
tammy

tammy said...

Hi Mags,

I've been leaving my "thoughts" on the Rav group Schacht. Some of them just don't understand why I am upset and not a satisfied customer. Take a peek when you can. Have a sunny weekend. and talk w/ ya sometime soon.
hugs,
t

tammy said...

Mags,
Thanks for the encouragement and I'm not going to let the others who disagree bother me. If the shoe were on the other foot, they would be voicing their grieveances too.

I'm just gonna wait and see what if anything positive comes from it and I'm still going to spin on. I've got yarn to make and have already wasted too much time.
hugs,
tammy

silfert said...

Too cool! I've seen some felted sweater bags before, but I've never tried one. I can see a library class in my future...