Saturday, August 22, 2009

Plain ol' boring socks...




Ahh..finally finished a pair of socks..these are for my brother Jim who (only) wears wool socks.
As far as I know he is the only one in the family who wears handmade and will pay dearly and go to extreme lengths to get a pair! (I don't know what to ask for, for knitting these...just joking Jim.Heehee)
You see my Granny knit the boys socks every Christmas and for some reason Jim loved them. The rest could have cared less...probably preferred store bought...so these are a treat for Jim. I know I should knit for him more often but I really, really hate knitting plain old forever no pattern, no funky yarn sox for men.
However, I did see where Silfert at
http://stitchtunes.blogspot.com/ was extolling the virtues of yarn called 'Zauberball' and said most of the men she had shown the colours thought it was cool!!! So check it out for the guys (old and young) in your life.
Pattern:- I cast on 64sts and did a knit 2, purl 2 rib for about 45 rows and then umm....another 50 rows of plain knitting. To break up the monotony I knit the double stitch short row heel.
I finished the foot with 60 rows plain and started the toe....TaDa..
Needles:- Sz#2.5
Yarn:-Patons Kroy 4ply Colour:-Gentry Grey
I will get these sent off today.
I will move on to something more challenging 'tho I'm still slogging on with my 'Truly' shawl.
A little aside...A few years ago I went into a Wool Shop in N.Ireland and asked the clerk (I found out she was the owner) where they kept the sock yarn (wool) as they call it. She looked at me astonished and said,
"Why would anyone bother knitting socks when you can buy 3 pair for a pound in Crazy Prices."
I went back to visit the same store last month. Unfortunately the store was going out of business but ironically they now carry sock wool!!!!
Go figure.
Happy knitting.
Mags.

3 comments:

silfert said...

Oh, I know what you mean about endless boring stitches! At least a nice 3X1 ribbing, or SOMETHING!! Those look very nice, though. Does the Patons yarn do a good job of staying up, instead of sliding down the ankle?

tammy said...

Hi Mags,

I think its nice when a male actually wants handknit wool sox. But , I'm like you, I don't like knitting w/ boring colors. They always seem to want plain, grey, navy, green etc. Your socks look very professional. Especially with the ballband around them. Kroy is a good sock yarn.

Me, being a wild woman(wild, sox woman) :) Love knitting with bright funky colors! Thats part of the attraction. Just keep knitting...Love ya! Tammy

tammy said...

Thanks, wished you lived nearby too, and I could show you.

But you could learn from the book. If I can any knitter can. Really!