Thursday, February 19, 2009

"Spinach Swallowtail"



As you can see it's snowing here...so it's no wonder I've finished the swallowtail shawl. It really wasn't too hard and oddly enough I didn't mind doing 'nupps'...for those of you who don't know what a nupp is, well it's just a glorified bobble. Basically it was knit one, yarn over, knit one, yarn over, knit one, all in the same stitch on the knit side and purl these all together on the purl side...sometimes it was a little awkward to get all the stitches on the needle to purl, but my needles were not the best, so I used a sz#0 double point to help gather up the loops and stitches..it worked for me!

Pattern:- Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark from Interweave Knits Fall 2006. A lovely well written pattern with no mistakes.

Yarn:- Schaefer Anne (green). It really is the colour of spinach, and I'll wear it on St. Paddy's day. It measures preblocking 17"x32"; post blocking 21"x40"

If I had been a little smarter I would have researched on 'Ravelry' swallowtail projects and used bigger needles. I always forget I have Rav as a resource!!!

Needles:- Sz#3 to start and then I went to Sz#5..circs and straight. (The straights had sharper points, but I had way too many stitches on my needles to be comfortable using them!)

I think I'll knit another shawl but I found for me it was better to do a couple of rows in the morning when I felt most alert. I did use a couple of lifelines and stitch markers. I found the markers invaluable for keeping an accurate stitch count.

I loved using sox yarn..probably lace weight would be too fine for a first lacy project.

Silfert, I haven't forgotten about your sox!!!

Happy knitting.

Mags.

8 comments:

Lou said...

Hey, Mags. Looks very nice.

I saw your comment on my blog, but I haven't been there in over a year.

Anyway, we miss you and can't wait to see you guys.

BTW, thanks again for the tips on the sewing machine. The costume was a hit last night at William's Pack Meeting. I'll send pictures in the next few days.

Cate said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! You really outdid yourself with this project! It's gorgeous!

tammy said...

BEAUTIFUL shawl! And the snow is the perfect backdrop.

tammy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mags said...

Will do!!!

Viola said...

Oh Mags,
That is lovely!

And what a view to look out on; very nice.

silfert said...

That's beautiful! I bought some really nice laceweight in a deep blue; I'm thinking of a pair of circular shawls done up with yanrovers laid out to look like the night sky. Northern and Southern Hemispheres and all that. Or maybe I'll just drop by here and look at the Swallowtail...

bobbi said...

i love the shawl, tried one myself and didn't get far.
haven't been blogging, but i wanted to say hi to you.