Thursday, February 14, 2008

So is it a quilt or a blanket?







Here is the "Moderne Baby Blanket"from Mason-Dixon. I knit this because I was between projects and this yarn was sitting in a Walmart bag from long ago!!


It is knit with 'Red Heart Fiesta' yarn and cost something like $2.97 a 4oz skein. So if it didn't work, well no big deal!!!


The blanket is knit in rectangles, squares, etc....a lot of different shapes but with x amount of stitches and x amount of rows. Good enough. They was no sewing together, definitely a plus for me. If a new block was started the stitches were picked up and I can do that okay..don't forget I'm a sox knitter.


It was mindless knitting...just garter stitch ridges.


When I was done it looked terrific on the right side.......but I wasn't happy with the raw edges on the reverse and so I decided to add a backing. (Silly me.)


(I will also say that because I did not do a swatch. I had no gauge and have a few less blocks than the pattern called for. I did do a little math and have the requisite 12 though; 3 of each colour.)


I blocked and then measured the blanket (it measures with the edging 28" wide and 37" long )and scoured the Internet for ideas. (There are quite a few people who have done this...successfully and remarkably...who have advice and tips.)


I however had a lot of problems. The knit stretched. The batting shifted. My sewing machine played up. I couldn't sleep trying to solve this problem.


After a bunch of trips to Jo~Anne's I finally made something that fitted reasonably well and now I had a knitted blanket attached batting and the lining...and so to keep it all together I decided to outline each block with a backstitch using the light blue yarn. I had tried embroidery floss but didn't like the results!!!


Whew..I'm finally done.


It doesn't look too bad. I machine washed and dried it and nothing moved too much...although on the knit side the blocks are a little puffy.


If I'd known this would be such a big a job I at least would have used a better yarn. I probably should have quit ages ago and gave myself no bother!!!!


Happy knitting


Mags






3 comments:

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Very nice. You have a wonderful blanket here. I love it. All of that work was well worth it !!!

silfert said...

A Blinquet, perhaps? It looks wonderful!

Jackie said...

What a beautiful blanket. Sooo comfy and warm.