Sunday, October 30, 2011

Felted mittens.

I have started to prepare for winter and as my hands are always so cold I thought I'd knit myself a pair of mittens!
Yarn:-Patons  Classic Wool. Colour:-Grey Mix. I have 5/8 of an ounce left...so I used 3.4 and 3/8oz...almost but not quite a full skein for the large size!
Pattern:-Cuffed Tweed Mittens by H.L. Wintermute and this is from "Interweave Felt" the 2008 issue.
Needles:-The pattern calls for Sz#15, but I only had 10.5 double points so I made the larger size and used them....I know I'm so cheap!
Modifications...or I'd say "tweaks" and who doesn't tweak patterns. I added an I-cord after felting.
 I picked up the stitches after felting and did a 3 inch cuff but I turned it to the inside and tacked it down. These mittens were long enough for me without the cuff going halfway up my arm!
I decided to add a little flower too...I used the picture from the "Rosework Mittens," by Nancy Bush and Jane Fournier from the magazine "Knitting Traditions," 2011. Honestly I hadn't a clue what I was doing and I used leftover sock yarn for the embroidery thread. It's supposed to be "satin " stitch! "Hee, hee"...you say, ha, me too!
I guess I'm ready to snow blow, and my hands will be warm and the flowers will remind me of warmer days!
Happy knitting everyone.
Mags.

No comments: