Monday, September 20, 2010

Another fabric strip/rag knit bag


















One of my knitting friends asked me why I liked using other materials besides yarn. Ummm, let me see.....I think it's because the finished product has such a unique look.
Here is another little unique fabric bag.
I found the strips and material for lining the bag at a yard sale.
The bag isn't very big. 12" tall; 11" long; 3" wide base.
I used sz#9 needles and the fabric is dense.
I cast on 40 sts and knit a rectangle of 20 rows.
I finished my last row, switched to circular needles and picked up 10sts along the first short side, an additional 40 sts opposite the first 40 sts and 10 more stitches along last short side.
I knit on these 100 sts until I almost ran out of fabric strips.
I then did a 3 st I-cord bind off since it creates a nice slighty rolled edge.
I then turned the bag inside out. I liked the look of the garter texture on the outside.
I added handles from a straw bag I found at the thrift store and then lined the bag.

This is a great little bag...ah but there's the rub, it's a little too small for me. I like to carry a lot of junk! Maybe someone will want it...
Happy knitting everyone.
Mags.



1 comment:

Tina said...

LOVE IT! You are so inventive with different mediums Mags!