Monday, January 25, 2010

Introducing the Sassy doll.


















I seem to be having startitis when it comes to conventional knitting, you know, socks etc..so...I thought I'd knit a rag doll.

I know....still knitting tho this is purely a whimsical project.

Well, I scoured the internet but couldn't find anything I liked so I came up with this.

The Grand Poobah said to just leave her face blank. I don't often listen to him, but this time thought I'd throw caution to the wind.

Sassy is 19" tall and 8" across her chest. I wanted something completely washable and so I used sock yarn., doubled. Just, bits and pieces I had lying around.

I used sz#3 and sz#7 knitting needles and she is nearly seamless. I had the devil of a time trying to figure out where the arms should go and if I ever tried to do another ....well lets just say I didn't write anything down so I probably never will...

I love the lace edging on her dress....very cute. (I used the cast off from the 'Truly Tasha Shawl" by Nancy Bush.) I did an I cord for her hairband. The extra pic is because I just had to show off the flower button on the back of her dress.

She isn't wearing underwear..naught, naughty...maybe one of these days I'll knit a pair.



She is named Sassy because my eldest grandson said if his Mom had a baby and it was a girl he'd call her Sassy.... (Don't think that's ever gonna happen! heehee)
My next project is an old afghan I had started in the 1980's and never completed. It's an Irish Knits pattern from an old Woman's Day magazine. I used some type of acrylic and it's a lavender colour. I know I could donate it to the Salvation Army but I'll try and finish it. At least I'll have something on my needles.
Happy knitting everyone.
Mags.

5 comments:

tammy said...

Sassy is a cutie! You are very clever in coming up w/ this. I've been wanting to knit a teddy bear in the round. Could you come up w a pattern for me? I've tried knitting those flat square type things and can't stand to knit them. If I could find a knitting in the round that wouldn't take forever, I want to donate some to a charity.There is one on Ravelry.I feel pressured when I join groups so I unjoined until I can find the right pattern that would "click" w/ me. Pun intended. LOL! If you can knit a doll bet u could come up w/ a bear. I'ld be glad to pay you for a pattern. Oh, come on.. you're great at designing. :))))

Tammy

tammy said...

Hey Mags,
It's me again. I googled search and found one pattern for a bear in the round. Under a site called how things work. I'm going to try this one. But if you happen to come up w/ one of your own, I would still be interested.
Thanks,
tammy

tammy said...

LOL! Just went and checked my blog and got you comment. After I had posted the second one.
hugs,
tammy

ME said...

MOST BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

Tina said...

Mags!!! That doll is adorable!!! You can not hold out on sistahs though...please try to put the recipe together as dolls seem to be my new thing. I promise if you do and I actually MAKE one I will send a pic, post on my site, and give you lots and lots of cred and props! *L* Take care! ~tina-marie