Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Toe up footie sox...




Just got 'Sock Innovation' by 'cookie a' in the mail today and I can't wait to get started, it's a great book!
I decided to try doing a toe up sox...just to see if I could! I'm top down all the way...but I wondered if I were missing too many beautiful sox patterns by limiting myself????


Anyhow, I decided to try and here is the result.

I used Wendy's easy (provisional) cast on, the short row (jojo) heel, [works toe up or cuff down ]and Grumperina's cast off.

I tried other methods of casting on, binding off and short row heels....but these worked for me!

I still prefer a top down sox..but I feel I have mastered my fear of a toe up! I may not bother knitting another footie ['tho I have another on the needles.]
Yarn:-I just used leftover Lorna Laces yarn and size#1 DP"s. I didn't use a specific pattern. I would say the only problem I had was figuring out when to start the heel.
I'm going to try not to start anything from my new book 'till I get some other projects finished. I have promised to knit the grandsons 'Skull Wrist Warmers'...so they are next! (HeeHee)
Happy knitting.
Mags.


4 comments:

tammy said...

The footie looks great! You do such a neat job too! I can't wait to get mine. I ordered one from a book store, hope it gets here soon.
I still like top down sox knitting the best too. For some reason toe up seems like it takes longer, for me anyway.

silfert said...

I made a couple pair of toe-ups, but I kept measuring wrong for the foot and they came out just right for my tiny-footed mom. Maybe I'll give it another try... :)

bobbi said...

hey, i back and ready to blog again. missed you and all my blogging friends. I too, as i'm sure most of the knitting world, bought Cookie's book. I'm looking forward to seeing everyones finished socks from the book. hope i'll be one of them, but i doubt it.

bobbi said...

did i mention that i loved the sweater, well i do.