Sunday, July 13, 2008

Knitted fabric strip/rag tote bag




Someone said to me at a baby shower it was too hot to be carrying a felted tote, so I decided to knit something bright and summery. Wow, it really is an explosion of colour!!!
This tote bag is knitted with fabric strips I bought on sale at Jo~Ann's last year. The strips were on sale for $2.97 and were 1/2"x50yds. Altogether I used about 5 and 1/2 or approx 275 yds.. If I use strips again I'll buy a rotary cutter and make my own strips and machine sew the ends of the strips together to make a continuous length and then roll it all into a ball.
Working with fabric was hard on my hands, probably because there is not the same give with fabric as yarn...but the finished product is unusual. My daughter thought I had used raffia.

Rag bag tote... 11"x11"x3"
Needles Sz 9 (straight) for the bottom and strap handles.
Bottom, 20 rows of garter stitch approx. 11"x3" Handles approx 30" long.
Sz 10 circs. for body of the bag. (58 rows, approx 11"x11")
I then lined the bag. and added a magnetic snap to the inner lining.
Since it is 100% cotton I can pitch the bag in the washer and dryer.
Happy knitting.
Mags.

P.S.Thank-you William for holding the bag for the pix....what the heck is in that bag...a brick...look at your wee muscles bulging!! (HeeHee)

3 comments:

silfert said...

That is COOL! I have to show my mom...

BLT said...

I want to use old pajamas to knit a pajama bag for my kids. Any suggestions? Did you stitch the edges to keep it from raveling? I was thinking of cutting the pajamas into loops (legs, arms, torso, etc), then slip knotting them together. I'd be knitting basically with double strands, but I could just use larger needles. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Mags said...

Hey Beth~         I didn't realise you had left a comment with a question.Here goes....I think any material old t-shirts anything, cut into strips, tied, or machine or hand sewed and rolled into a ball would work. I knit my bag in the round, but it would work knitted flat , front, back and sewed together. You could use any size needle...but the bigger the needle the looser the finished fabric...but if you double the strips they may be very hard to work although you would have a denser finished fabric. (Use a smaller needle size and a single strip of fabric for the same results.) The strips don't seem to unravel and I've washed the bag a lot!Hope this helps.
Good luck.