Sunday, May 22, 2011

Charity Donations.....



















On June 18th., our knitting group is planning to have our "Knit in Public Day!"
The charity we are sponsoring for our day is
"Relay for Life."
Our "Sip and Stitch" group member Sarah has decided to get some donations from local business and of course our group members will do what they can. This is what I have made to contribute so far. I will add a skein of yarn to each bag and I have the book "Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders," edited by Judith Durant to add to the mix. Who knows by the time the 18th rolls around I may have a little something more...but I'm not promising anything!
The Bags....
Pattern:-http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sue-schaefers-noro-kureyon-bag
This is a free pattern and a lovely mindless knit.
This little bag after felting measures 31/2" wide, 12" long and 10" tall.
For the blue/purple bag, I used 2 skeins of Noro #254E (blues, green, purple,) held together with 2 skeins of Araucania Nature Wool # 29 (purple.) I don't remember what yarn I used for the flower..it's probably a mohair wool something!
For the green bag, I used 2 skeins held together of Araucania Nature Wool # 27 and 2
skeins of Tahki Kerry colour #5013. I only used the Tahki Kerry for the base and the handles.
For the red bag, I used 2 skeins of Patons Classic Wool Regency held together and 2 skeins of Patons Wool colour Chestnut Brown for the handle. For the sunflower embellishment I used Araucania # 37 yellow and the Patons for the flower centre.
The only changes I made to the pattern was to use an I-cord bind off and to double the yarn for a sturdier bag.
And for the green bag I added 2 cables front and back.
Next:-I am in the process of making some knitting magnets. These are just knit with leftover sock yarn.
I used toothpicks for needles and beads for the needle heads. I attached a self stick magnet bought at Walmart to the back! I plan on making about 20-25 all together.

Finally, I made some "felted soap." I had a bunch of roving I had purchased at http://www.northcoastknitting.org/Directions.pdf
and thought I would try some soap. The soap was easy to felt and looks pretty but doesn't lather very well...I did read somewhere that if you add your own shower gel it lathers nicely and also make sure your felted bar dries out well between uses. The soap smells good and is great for exfoliating your skin, but not worth the trouble.....in my opinion!
Lets hope we make lots of money for our charity. I don't think too many folks will be interested in the knitting stuff..I don't think too many knitters are coming. I am hoping since we are supposed to be celebrating "Knit in Public Day," that I am pleasantly surprised. I would love to introduce people to the craft and exchange ideas with others..so fingers crossed! We have however heard from the Erie groups who are also donating some things! Woo-hoo...thanks guys...we appreciate everything!
Happy knitting everyone,
Mags.
































1 comment:

tammy said...

Such cute projects! I like the knit magnets, especially....